12.09.2008

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the video for Advent Conspiracy or have at least heard about it. If you haven't, check it out. (click on the link). John and I made a conscious decision last year to try and not go "overboard" with Christmas for our kids. They each get 3 gifts. (ok and I add in one for Christmas Eve that is "bedtime focused") Well this year we wanted to take it a step further so we decided that we would both make one of their gifts and only buy one gift for each of them. Since they can't get online yet and read here I feel confident that I am safe telling you what they are getting for Christmas.

Téah:
1. small table with 2 chairs (made by John)
2. dress up clothes (made by me)
3. Sleeping Beauty DVD (the thing she has voiced that she would really like to have!)

Micah:
1. toy box for his room (made by John)
2. Quilt with matching pillow (made by me)
3. some not-yet-decided wooden toy (I refuse to buy more plastic toys!)

It may not look like much, but they're 3 and 14 months. What else could they need? I'm pretty excited to give them both things that we have worked on for them and that they will have for years to come. And I will admit this: Micah's quilt was supposed to be a birthday present, but I didn't finish it in time!)

In addition to this we decided along with our families to cut down giving all-around. For my side of the family we are only buying gifts for the kids. And we exchanged names so each kid gets one gift. For John's side of the family we are cutting back to one gift each and trying to make those as much as possible. I can't say what I'm making Jill (John's sister) and Alli (John's Mom) because they both read here - but I think they're going to like it! John has something up his sleeve for his Dad and Brother-in-Law, Jeremy. But he hasn't shared with me yet what it will be!

For each other this year, John and I are going to see Over the Rhine in Cincinnati, OH Dec. 19th & 20th. The annual Christmas show they do every year is 2 nights this year with the first night being a reunion of sorts with their former guitar player and drummer. We are incredibly excited! The best part is we're going to hang out with John's sister, Jill and her husband, Jeremy. They live in Cincy and are being extremely kind and generous and are allowing the four of us to crash at their place for the weekend.

It's a great Advent and it's going to be a great Christmas.

1 comment:

suzannah | the smitten word said...

your gifts sound wonderful! makes me want to learn to sew...